- pics from yosemite and peer exchange 091
- CCLHDN Peer Exchange Monterrey and Madera 016
- CCLHDN Peer Exchange Shasta Yuba Nevada 008
- CCLHDN Peer Exchange Shasta Yuba Nevada 002
- CCLHDN PE- Nor Cal and ShastaAlameda 006
- CCLHDN PE- Nor Cal and ShastaAlameda 009
- CCLHDN Peer Exchange Riverside San Joaquin Dec 5 006
- CCLHDN PE- CCC 026
Our Peer Exchange program is available to nutrition services staff in California Health Departments, with priority given to CCLHDN member counties. To date, approximately 37 exchanges (27 different counties) have taken place through our exchange program.. To learn about past exchanges, click here.
Want to learn more about exchanges? Check out this fabulous video capturing the key elements of the Peer Exchange!
The purpose of the Peer Exchange is to increase the capacity of local health departments to effectively implement nutrition programs to the SNAP-Ed population through the sharing of ideas, best practices and resources from counties who have successful nutrition programs.
The Peer Exchange is generally between 2-3 counties and can take on two forms. The exchange can either be atraditional Host/Mentee, whereby the mentee county visits the host county to learn about and receive help from the host county. The second option is a peer-to-peer roundtable exchange. In this model all participating counties equally share in the role of guiding, providing resources and discussing their programs. Just let CCLHDN staff know which format you are interested int.
The exchanges typically last a day, though some span 2-days. Having an activity to see or a place to visit the showcases your county’s work is encouraged, as it brings your work to life and adds variety to the learning modalities used during an exchange.
Check out this resource to learn about how the exchange can help you!
Participation in a peer exchange begins with completing the appropriate matching checklist, depending whether you want to be a host or a mentee (traditional model or peer-to-peer model). It is also possible to do both, and a separate form is needed for each. Here are links to the host checklist and the mentee checklist. If you are interested in attending a roundtable style exchange, whereby all counties collaborate in sharing the agenda and equally sharing best practices, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Once the checklist is completed and submitted, CCLHDN will identify a ‘best fit’ county that meets your specific needs and interests, and will contact you to begin the process.
Once a match has been determined, the following occurs
- A date is set for the exchange. Exchanges are typically planned 4-8 weeks in advance. This allows ample time for preparation and travel approval.
- All participants complete the capacity assessment evaluation (Survey) prior to the exchange. This data helps CCLHDN evaluate state-wide trends in programs and gaps in trainings/information needed.
- The lead staff from each site have a phone conference to discuss the agenda for the exchange. This allows for a first introduction and for both sites to share their needs/expertise in their own words. Example agendas: Shasta County hosted peer exchange agenda and Orange County hosted peer exchange agenda
- The exchange happens! We encourage a mid-day ‘field trip’ or off-site lunch experience to be part of the exchange so the mentee can see programs in action and/or allow for related but unstructured conversation.
- Post-exchange: CCLHDN will work with the mentee site to complete a structured phone interview on their exchange experience and plans to implement what was learned. Travel expenses (up to $900/county) can be reimbursed at State rate.
- Staff from both sites continue relationship building and resources sharing to improve their capacity to deliver effective programs to the target population.
- In approximately 6-months post exchange, the capacity assessment is completed again.
TRAVEL AND NETWORK ALLOWABILITY
Up to $900 in travel scholarship is available for the mentee site staff to travel to the host site.
The Peer Exchange is 100% Network allowable, and can be billed under ‘admin’ or ‘training’; check your SOW.
Please contact us by email at: email@example.com for more information or visit the forms page to access the mentee or host checklists and travel reimbursement form.